MORE ABOUT SXR
In late 2001 I founded Sublime Exile Recordings. I took the name from a Discovery Chanel program featuring two economic tax avoiders hunted by the American justice department for not paying their share and now living in, as the reporter called it, a Sublime Exile, in the Caribbean Islands, unable to leave the Islands due to risking being caught by the same law. Needless to say, and no comparison but a sublime exile is also a gut-good utopian outpost free from all human struggles, like a Nirvana or a private Idaho if you'd like.
In late 2001 I had a meeting with a recording studio in Copenhagen. We decided to start a business together. They as a recording studio and me as the music business partner. They had two artists they were currently working with, in the studio, and one coming in. I signed them all to Sublime Exile Recordings and took it all further to a licensing deal (including advances to finance our startup) with my former employer Playground Music Scandinavia (which I previously was one of the ten starting up in Sweden, in 1999, after the tumultuous times with our former employer MNW Records Group).
The first year we received a No 1 Talent Award Winner, the best rock act coming out in decades in the national papers, and some really interesting new acts and performers including internationally renowned artists. It was all so good. The future looked bright.
What really happened after that is history and in 2005 the label became all mine.
At about the same time, I decided to go all digital. This was pre-Spotify, podcasts, and all such and I started learning code and design to develop the label I signed some new acts and released our first digital release in January 2005.
Now it’s 2020 and it’s been a hard day's night for the music business during these recent past years. Especially for the independents. I never gave up though and I have just (during COVID-19) graduated from two great crash courses at Berklee College Of Music with degrees in both Music Business Foundation and Entrepreneurship.
Sublime Exile Recordings, now nearly 20 years old, for the first time, offering sales on traditional formats Vinyl, CD. Cassette and DVD might come too? - Did I say the label now also has its own merchandise, retailing music life gear and it's own music publishing ???
"I know how to bang the drums, twang the strings, blow the horns, push the keys, pump the...eh. - I have a great passion for marketing, promotion, distribution, licensing, publishing, branding, etc. For the digital music industry era, I have been studying code and design for over +10 years and intensely follow the latest music economy craze (blockchain and it's cryptocurrencies)”.
I've been an Independent music publisher since 2001 and former CEO and label representative for Mute Records, Playground Music Scandinavia, and MNW Records Group, and have more than 30 years of experience within the music and entertainment industry. I’m born in Stockholm, Sweden, lived and worked in Oslo, Norway for 11 years, and currently live and working in Copenhagen, Denmark since 1999.
I began my musical career at an early age. My elder sisters & brothers pushed my musical taste with The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Simon & Garfunkel, Cat Stevens…, and my mom & dad’s early Jazz from the ’40s and ’50s & ’60s. I was brought up with a singing family playing various instruments.
Later I found my own musical taste and when the disco really took off, in the mid-’70s, I started DJ’ing, at the age of 15, at our local youth club, and later also played in various band constellations on my guitar that my sweetest big brother bought and taught me about when I was 10, in 1971.
- "Most Unique Record Label 2022" Scandinavian Business Awards
- Gold & Platinum sales for both "Music For The Jilted Generation" & "The Fat Of The Land" by The Prodigy
- Gold & Platinum sales for both "Murder Ballads" & "The Boatman's Call" by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
- Gold & Platinum sales for "Ultra" by Depeche Mode
- Gold & Platinum sales for "Play" by Moby
- ...and more
"I really have to tell you this: I explored your label a little bit.
- Man, you really have way better musical taste than most of the labels out there.
- I have been listening to the license playlist. From the “steam engines” track going through the awesome “The Fakes”…. Everything fits into an ethereal world that I love.
- I really wasn’t expecting the artistic level was so good. I mean, this is really my kind of music taste.
- Congratulations for not following absolute rubbish tendencies! There is hope, after all." - Nuno and the End
- "I'm really impressed by how Sublime Exile Recordings is able to provide a niche record label, music publisher, and content owner for independent artists. It's awesome to see a company take risks and offer something new to the music world." - Jordan MHI Media Bristol, UK
- Music Industry
- Record Labels
- Music Production
- Music Licensing
Lasse has a great sensibility, both in the line of business and in the line of music. He has the courage to stand for what he believes in, while at the same time respecting others' opinions. He's deeply missed in Norway!
Lasse has an ear for music, a mind for marketing and embraces every new marketing tool, helping to change and innovate the music industry landscape!
Lasse de Flon is our representative for music2deal Scandinavia. We are happy to work with him ...